Date: January 13, 2016
Location: Cheers Restaurant, 5805 Lacey Boulevard SE, Lacey, WA
Blane Long (Board President) HDR
Steven W. Thompson (Board V.P.) The Boeing Company
Tomi Hume WSDOT
Anna Bremmer Bremmer Consulting, LLC
Ken Smith HDR
Paul Fuchs The Boeing Company
Joel Davis Meng Analysis
Dick Eitel Everett Engineering, Inc.
Chapter Meeting (6:30 – 7:30 pm)
See list of attendees above.
Treasurer John Langer was not in attendance, but President Blane Long reported out for him. The Cascadia Chapter account balance was $3,654.84 as of January 3, 2016.
Chapter Holiday Party
Last month’s Holiday Party was a success. The get-together was held at Duke’s Chowder House in Southcenter.
Certification Board Update
Anna Bremmer, CVS®, gave a briefing on the recent SAVE Certification Board Meeting.
When verifying a restaurant/room for dinner meetings, we need to make sure that wi-fi is available.
• February (Seattle, TBD) – Board Meeting 5:30 – 6:30; Rahul Nagalkar, Sound Transit Value Engineering Program manager and member of the SAVE International Board of Directors, along with Ann Jamison of HNTB will present “Applicability of Value Engineering to Rail Projects in the Conceptual Design and Preliminary Engineering Phase”.
• March (Everett, TBD) – Nomination Committee needs to be determined for Board Elections. David Hamilton of ESRI has expressed interest in presenting a cost/risk topic during either the March or May meetings.
• April (Seattle) – Joint AACE/SAVE Meeting scheduled for April. Seattle City Light may be the topic, but this has yet to be confirmed. Date needs to be confirmed as well, but it will likely be THURSDAY, April 14.
• May (Tacoma) – Board Meeting 5:30 – 6:30. New Board Members will be introduced.
• June (Niagara Falls, Canada) – In conjunction with the SAVE International Value Summit (and the Canadian VE organization).
Presentation (7:30 – 8:30 pm)
What Do Our Customers Really Want?
Presentation by Blane Long, CVS®, (SAVE Cascadia Chapter President, Senior Value Engineer at HDR).
Whether you’ve just been hired to conduct a VE study, are running one for your own agency, or are doing the hiring of a VE facilitator – you need to know the answer to this important question. What are the outcomes, processes, tangibles and intangibles alike that we want out of VE studies? Blane led an open discussion on how to deliver a VE Study that will give owners what they need to be successful.
Special thanks to President Blane Long for providing these meeting minutes on behalf of our Secretary.