SAVE Cascadia Chapter 2016-2017 Board Year Board Meeting April 11, 2018

Meeting Attendance Sign-in Sheet April 2018

April 11, 2018
Board/Business Meeting Agenda/Minutes
Attendance : Steven Paget, Blane Long, Joel Davis, Ann Jamison, Trent Eakin, Ann Jamison, Laurie Dennis and David Hamilton.
Reports:
Treasurer’s – Joel noted there is approximately $6800.00 in the account. First quarter revenue of approximately $85.00. Future expenditure will be a $1,000 sponsorship of the WIFI at the 2018 International Conference.
Program/Professional Development Committee – None
Communications/Outreach Committee – None
Advocacy/Legislative Committee – None
Election Committee – Laurie Dennis and David Hamilton are the new Board Members.
General – None
Old Business Topics:
1. Cascadia Website: define vision and functional goals for website; update home page and post meeting notes, etc.; update the board officer list; when the new chapter president takes office, the president to write a personal welcome statement for posting on the home page.
2. Chapter Effectiveness Submission: consider as a guide for setting Chapter goals; how to use chapter funds to leverage chapter effectiveness and grow membership; consider submitting for Chapter Effectiveness Award
3. Gathering and reporting of performance metric data – identify a champion for this effort
New Business Topics:
1. Certify election results and welcome new board members; usher out the old. Moved by Steven, seconded by Blane. Passed unanimously. Steven will send a Thank You email to the candidates.
2. Appoint new officers. Joel continue as Treasurer – approved unanimously. Blane volunteered for Secretary – approved unanimously. Laurie nominated for president – approved unanimously. David Hamilton volunteered for Vice president – approved unanimously.
3. Assign responsibilities/volunteer for board responsibilities, i.e. communications, website maintenance, programming, etc. John Boatman will define what the Communication and Outreach Committee role and goals will be (including membership growth). David Hamilton will draft roles and goals for the Programming/Professional Development, with Steven Paget. Joel will define the Advocacy/Legislative Committee roles and goals. Accepted unanimously. Proposals will be provided by May 15 to Laurie.
4. Open committees to non-board membership. Future discussion once committees are established.
5. Select Cascadia representatives to the Business Meeting at the Conference. Laurie and Blane will represent the Chapter. Ann will back up if needed.
6. Consider how we want to structure the reduced number (4) of Chapter meetings.
a. Board meetings should be staggered away from the Chapter Meetings to allow for improved planning between meetings. Unanimously agreed that the President and Vice President to discuss.
7. Programs and locations for upcoming meetings. To be addressed by the new Board.
8. Consideration of proposal for the chapter to host Fundamentals I Training. Steven Paget proposed having multiple people from the chapter deliver a Fundamentals 1 Training for Chapter participants. The Board supported the concept. Steven will lead the effort with help from other board members.
9. Gathering and reporting of performance metric data – champion for this effort? Moved and seconded that this be addressed by the Legislative and Advocacy Committee. Passed unanimously.
10. Encourage Cascadia membership to vote in the upcoming national election and for the bylaws changes. Ann will send email to the membership encouraging participation in the two National Elections.
Summary:
Action Items
1. Steven will send a Thank you to the individuals who participated as candidates in the election.
2. The following individuals will develop role and goal statements for the following committees:
a. John Boatman will define what the Communication and Outreach Committee role and goals will be (including membership growth).
b. David Hamilton will draft roles and goals for the Programming/Professional Development, with Steven Paget.
c. Joel will define the Advocacy/Legislative Committee roles and goals.
Proposals will be provided by May 15 to Laurie.

3. Laurie and Blane will represent the Chapter at the SAVE International Conference, Ann will provide back-up if needed.

4. Steven Paget will lead development of a local fundamentals 1 training, supported by several members of the Board.

5. Ann will send an email to the membership encouraging their participation in the National Board election and the passage of the revised Bylaws.

6. Ann will email new Board information to the membership

7. Laurie will develop a new president message for the web page.
Board Meeting Schedule – To be developed.
Minutes prepared by Ann Jamison. If you have corrections or modifications, please email to ann@teamRHA.com .

SAVE Cascadia Chapter 2016-2017 Board Year Board Meeting November 13, 2017

SAVE Cascadia Chapter Sign-In Sheet_November 2107
Location:
HNTB, 600 108th Street, Suite 900, Bellevue, WA/Telecom
Attendees: Steven Sazan, President; Ann Jamison, Secretary; Joel Davis, Treasurer; Trent Eakin, Member-at-Large
Meeting (Meet and Greet 6:00 PM, Dinner 6:30 PM, Presentation)
Attendees: See Attached Sign-in Sheet
1. Presidents Message
2. Treasurers Report
1. Current Chapter Balance (September 2017 Chapter Activity Report) = $6,416.49
2. Recent Activity:
• Payment to Ann Jamison for January Chapter Meeting Expense = $17.46
• Revenue from SAVE National* = $787.50
3. Brief Discussions
• Holiday party
i. $1,000 advance
ii. Joel pick menu
iii. Limited alcohol purchase by SAVE Cascadia Chapter
• Upcoming meetings
i. December 11, 2017
ii. January 10, 2018 – Blane Organizing – for Olympia at HDR
iii. February 8, 2018 – Trent Eakin Organizing – HDR in Bellevue
iv. March 9, 2018 –
• APWA presentation ideas – continue to discuss ideas for this for the October 2018 APWA Conference. Doug Smith will reach out while at the Spring Conference to APWA Washington to see if APWA is interested.
i. Potential Topic requiring data collection: Collecting performance data for Washington (or national) projects.
4. Presentation
• Schedule Review as a key element of VE
i. See presentation
5. Meeting Adjourned at 7:55PM

SAVE Cascadia Chapter 2016-2017 Board Year Board Meeting October 8, 2017

SAVE Cascadia Chapter Sign-In Sheet_October 2107

Location:
Telecom
Attendees: Steven Sazan, President; Ann Jamison, Secretary; Joel Davis, Treasurer; Trent Eakin, Member-at-Large
Meeting called to order 7:30
1. Introductions
2. Treasurers Report
o Current Balance $5646.47
3. Report from the Chapter Presidents Meeting SAVE Conference
o Brainstorming and discussion of how to grow the Chapter:
– Interview a client about a VE success story, then publish and article
– Focus on the audience for VE, as opposed to practitioners
– Joint Chapter Meetings with other Chapters
– Quarterly mini-conference or presentation
o VP of Marketing Position is available
4. Chapter 2017/18 Focus Areas/Roles and Responsibilities:
• Each Board Member needs to take on organizing each meeting:
o September – Steven will organize the Meeting – Second Wednesday (September 13)
o October –
o November – Trent Eakin at HDR/Steven Topic
o December – Joel will organize
o January – HDR in Olympia – Blane will organize
• Topic Ideas:
o Rahul Nagalkar will try to arrange a project tour of a Sound Transit Project
o Designate a technology officer for the chapter to arrange and operate the telecom equipment.
o Tag into Holly to have a joint meeting with the Alberta people.
o Laurie in Tacoma doing her CMGC presentation
o Ann doing her conference presentation
• Outreach and communications committee
o Outreach to legislature
o Outreach to UW
o Department of Commerce person that Eric Meng knows
5. Action Items
o Eric will send performance measures for VE (Ann will send out)
o Steven Paget will organize the September meeting
o Steven will set the agenda and plan the location or phone information for the 1st Board Meeting in October.
The meeting adjourned at 8:30.
The next meeting will be November 13, 2017

SAVE Cascadia Chapter 2016-2017 Board Year Board Meeting August 28, 2017

SAVE Cascadia Chapter Sign-In Sheet_2107_August 28

Cascadia SAVE Chapter Notes
August 28, 2017
1. Introductions
2. Treasurers Report

o Current Balance $5646.47
o Petty Cash Account-
Not allowed to open a bank account or credit cards
Not permitted to have a petty cash account

3. Report from the Chapter Presidents Meeting SAVE Conference
o Brainstorming and discussion of how to grow the Chapter:
– Interview a client about a VE success story, then publish and article
– Focus on the audience for VE, as opposed to practitioners
– Joint Chapter Meetings with other Chapters
– Quarterly mini-conference or presentation
o VP of Marketing Position is available
4. Chapter 2017/18 Focus Areas/Roles and Responsibilities:
• Each Board Member needs to take on organizing each meeting:
o September – Steven will organize the Meeting – Second Wednesday (September 13)
o October –
o November
o December –
o January – HDR in Olympia – Blane will organize
• Topic Ideas:
o Rahul Nagalkar will try to arrange a project tour of a Sound Transit Project
o Designate a technology officer for the chapter to arrange and operate the telecom equipment.
o Tag into Holly to have a joint meeting with the Alberta people.
o Laurie in Tacoma doing her CMGC presentation
o Ann doing her conference presentation
• Outreach and communications committee
o Outreach to legislature
o Outreach to UW
o Department of Commerce person that Eric Meng knows
5. Action Items
o Eric will send performance measures for VE (Ann will send out)
o Steven Paget will organize the September meeting
o Steven will set the agenda and plan the location or phone information for the 1st Board Meeting in October.
The meeting adjourned at 6:35.
The next meeting will be September 13, 2017

 

SAVE Cascadia Chapter 2016-2017 Board Year February 9 2017 Chapter Meeting

Date: February 9, 2017
Location: Best Western Plus Executive Inn, 200 Taylor Avenue N., Seattle, WA,
Attendees: (See attached sign in sheet)

Chapter Meeting (5:00PM to 7:35 PM)

Introductions

SAVE Cascadia Chapter Sign-In Sheet_2107_February

Chapter Meeting

This was a Joint Meeting with AACE. There was no Board meeting.

  1. Networking
  2. Technical_Presentation_ SAVE Cascadia Chapter- Feb 9 2017
    1. David Hamilton, Hamilton Risk-Value presented on Numerical Bias of Construction/Risk Teams vs Project Actual Bid Results.

 

The scope of this presentation explores the dynamics of risk identification, risk distribution types (Normal, BetaPert, etc.) and the resulting impact upon design teams, project budgets and owners. A case study of a water treatment plant project will highlight the risk bias and the intricate effects upon the design team and owner PM staff from final document preparation through bidding. The positive result in the industry is that more risks are being identified, addressed and mitigation measures initiated prior to bidding. The PowerPoint presentation is attached.

Board Meeting

There was no Board meeting at this Joint SAVE/AACE Meeting.

 

SAVE Cascadia Chapter 2016/2017 Board Year: November 9, 2016 Chapter Meeting

Date: November 9, 2016
Location: Vince’s Italian, Renton, WA
Attendees: (See SAVE Cascadia Chapter Sign-In Sheet_2106 November )

Board and Chapter Meeting (Board Meeting 6:25 PM to 7:25PM)

Introductions

Board Meeting

  1. Approve Minutes of October 10th Meeting: The meeting Minutes were approved.

 

  1. Treasurer Report: The balance in October was $5,145, after expenses the November balance will be $4,980.  Other chapters seem to have larger balances and Joel will research how they are operating their events. Joel is researching how the Chapter can set up to reimburse people for expenses and collect payments. Joel will report back at a future meeting.  Consideration of having a petty cash fund to reimburse free meals for speakers and new attendees.

 

John Langer brought up a suggestion to get a hot spot to facilitate virtual meetings when there isn’t WIFI available at the venue.  Steve Thompson will look further into the hot spot expenses.  Consideration of a pay as you go hot spot.

 

The group selected the Saison option/Hors de oeuvres and dessert with no bar or tour with an approximate cost $1,600 if 25 people attend.

 

  1. Future Events

 

Joel -January – performance measures (panel with Rahul, Mark Gable, WSDOT, Laurie Caltrans and maybe Randy Earlywine would be a good future speaker). January meeting at Meng Offices.

 

Joint Meeting with AACE – John Boatman will coordinate with the AACE Board about a joint event in April or May

 

Blane – February in the south (Confirm)

 

Possible group discussion meeting with Teresa on resiliency planning (Steve Kirk has a presentation for Teresa to check into) – possible spring event.

Joel suggested doing a presentation to the UW students of the value program

 

    1. Summary of the Board Meeting: All at the Chapter Meeting attended to Board meeting so no summary was presented.

Chapter Meeting

Meeting closed at 7:25

Presentation – John Langer, Life Cycle Costing Presentation_November 2016

March 9, 2016 Chapter Meeting

Date:  March 9, 2015
Location:  Rose Hill Community Center, Mukilteo, WA
Attendees:

 

David Hamilton Hamilton Risk+Value Consultants
Steven W. Thompson (Board VP) The Boeing Company
Steven Paget (Board Member) Sazan
Joel Davis Meng
Bruce Larkin Parker Hannifin Corporation
Eric Benton PMSVS
 

Chapter Meeting (6:30 – 7:30 pm)

Introductions

See list of participants.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer John Langer was not in attendance, but Steven Paget reported out for him that the Cascadia Chapter account balance is in the range of $6,500 – $7,500.

 

Nominating Committee
Tomi Hume and Ann Jamison volunteered to help Teresa Platin. We will have a Nominating Committee Meeting in the next couple of weeks. We have had two people express interest in being nominated … Ann Jamison and Joel Davis. We’ll put out a formal call for nominations via e-mail. All nominees will be asked to provide a brief bio for inclusion in the election material. A Survey Monkey ballot similar to last year’s will be sent to all active Cascadia Chapter Members.

Blaine Long and Michael Schneider are outgoing Board members. Nominations are to happen in March per the Chapter Bylaws, however, it is likely that nominations will be due in April with elections later in April, or May. The new Board members will be installed at the June meeting.

 

Next Meetings

The April Meeting will be a joint meeting with AACE on a THURSDAY (April 14). The location and topic have yet to be set, but Blane and Teresa will work with AACE contact John Newman of Sound Transit to work out the details.  The May meeting will be held in Bellevue at HNTB on the regular Weds, and the June meeting will be held during the Value Summit in Niagara Falls, Canada.

.

Chapter Representatives at the SAVE Annual Business Meeting
A representative and an alternate representative are needed to represent the Chapter at the Annual Business Meeting held Sunday, June 5, 5-6 PM at the Annual Conference. Another notice needs to be sent to determine who is able to be a representative. Need to confirm that Blane Long will be attending the Conference and will be attending the Chapter Presidents Meeting on Tuesday, June 7, 7-8 AM, or identify who can stand in if Blane will not be attending.

 

Attendee Sharing

Meeting attendees shared about recent VE related experiences and lessons learned. The group had a lively discussion about the issues encountered and the lessons learned.

 

 

Presentation (7:30 – 8:30 pm)

SAVE Presentation_March 2016

David Hamilton gave an informative presentation on the use of construction risk analysis as a VE tool and the application of Monte Carlo-based risk analysis software. David started by discussing the relationship between risk and value optimization as the rationale for incorporating risk analysis into VE studies. He outlined several goals or risk analysis actions which can be implemented as part of a VE study. David described qualitative risk analysis, semi-quantitative risk analysis, and quantitative risk analysis. He explained the difference between uncertainty and risk events and how each are addressed in risk analysis. David then went into detail on the use of a Monte Carlo-based quantitative analysis to determine risk, and provided an overview of the steps in preparing a Monte Carlo analysis using computer software. He explained that with computer modeling of risk, it is now possible to look at multiple variables and access risk relative to cost and schedule. David presented several case studies of construction risk analysis undertaken as part of a VE study or as an independent study using elements of the value methodology. The presentation concluded with a review of lessons learned, followed by Q&A.

 

David’s presentation slides, available on the Cascadia SAVE Chapter website, are well prepared and include information graphics.

 

———————————————————————————————————————————–

Special thanks to Board Member Steven Paget for taking these notes on behalf of our Secretary this month.

February 10, 2016 SAVE Cascadia Chapter Dinner Meeting

Board Meeting & Chapter Meeting

Date:  February 10, 2016
Location:  Vince’s Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria, 2815 NE Sunset Blvd, Renton, WA
  Blane Long (Board President) HDR
  Steven W. Thompson (Board V.P.) The Boeing Company
  John Langer (Board Treasurer) John Langer Consulting
  Teresa Platin (Board Secretary) HDR
  Rahul Nagalkar Sound Transit
  Ann Jamison HNTB
  Tomi Hume WSDOT
  Eric Benton * Planning & Management Services
  Brewce Larkin Parker Hahn
  Randy Earlywine SPU
  Joel Davis MENG Analysis

* Chapter pays for dinner of first-time meeting attendees, up to $25.

Board Meeting / Chapter Meeting (7:00 – 7:20 pm)

Introductions

See list of attendees above.

Treasurer’s Report

Treasurer John Langer reported a balance of $3629.84. John noted that the Holiday Party was a little more expensive than expected, so the Board is considering ways to reduce costs. John is considering hosting the 2016 Holiday party at his house.

We’re also looking at additional venues for dinner meetings, perhaps a community center in Everett for next month ($35/hr rental, bring in pizza?).

Future Meetings

  • March (Everett, TBD) – Nomination Committee needs to be determined for Board Elections. David Hamilton of ESRI has expressed interest in presenting a cost/risk topic during either the March or May meetings. Steve Thompson’s co-worker also expressed interest earlier this year in presenting. Teresa will talk to Steven to work out details of March meeting, but she will be unable to attend.
  • April (Seattle) – Joint AACE/SAVE Meeting scheduled for April. Seattle City Light (Denny Way) may be the topic, but this has yet to be confirmed. Different date? … THURSDAY, April 14, but this needs to be confirmed as well.
  • May (Tacoma) – Board Meeting 5:30 – 6:30. New Board Members will be introduced. Teresa may present a recent unique dual-team VE Study where she and David Hamilton facilitated separate meetings (with assistants Trent Eakin and Tabi Deas, respectively). She needs to check to see if the client is ok with the facilitators conducting this presentation. Ann Jamison will look into whether we can use HNTB’s conference room for this meeting (bring in pizza?) if we choose to hold the meeting in Bellevue, rather than Tacoma.
  • June (Niagara Falls, Canada) – In conjunction with the SAVE International Value Summit (and the Canadian VE organization). Rahul and Ann turned in a paper about constructability and VE. They do not know yet if it was accepted.

Terms

Blane noted that Board Terms are expiring for himself and for Michael Schneider.  He reminded the group that serving on a local Chapter Board counts for 4 points every year, or 8 points if the position is an Executive position.

  • General schedule:
  • Nomination committee typically formed in Feb/March.
  • Elections in April.
  • Results announced in May.
  • Terms begin in June.

Blane asked for volunteers to serve on the Nominating Committee. Teresa offered to head it up again this year, and Ann Jamison and Tomi Hume later volunteered.

 Round-Robin Discussion on Recent VE Studies

Blane asked the group to give a show of hands to indicate who has performed a VE study in the past month. He asked for a sharing of the good experiences as an educational service for the group.

  • Joel – VE of the most expensive elementary school in WA State. Highlights included structural bridging of 2 elevations.
  • Tomi – WSDOT /City discrepancy in $ on a transportation project. Highlight of VE study was considering a diamond interchange instead of a single point urban connection (SPUI).
  • Blane – VE in Wyoming looked at 2 projects. Blane noted that usually VE teams will fly in a State plane to take a look at project sites, but the plane was down when Blane arrived. While site visits are very important, the “found time” from having to begin early without a field visit was actually beneficial. Saved enough money on the two projects that they could complete both for the price of one.
  • Teresa – Optimization (VE) Study for King County, WA where there were two separately facilitated teams running in parallel with each other.

Certification Changes

  • Group discussed some of the changes that are coming from the Certification Board this summer.
  • Changes are being implemented to allow for a more competency-based approach (using PDUs, etc.). Many of the changes will be put into motion this spring/summer. For instance, the AVS title will be going away, with VMA being the nearest equivalent. There will be “grandfathering in” of certain certifications. It was mentioned that people will not lose their AVS points if theyr’e on the cusp of transitioning to CVS®. CVS®-Life designation will go away, with no knew ones being instated by 2020.
  • The Certification Board is listening to members’ concerns.

Presentation (7:30 – approximately 8:30 pm)

Applicability of Value Engineering to Rail Projects in the Conceptual Design and Preliminary Engineering Phase

Presentation by:

  • Rahul Nagalkar, CVS®, (Sound Transit Value Engineering Program Manager).
  • Ann Jamison, AICP, AVS (Vice President, HNTB Corporation)

January 13, 2016 SAVE Cascadia Chapter Meeting

Date: January 13, 2016
Location: Cheers Restaurant, 5805 Lacey Boulevard SE, Lacey, WA
Blane Long (Board President) HDR
Steven W. Thompson (Board V.P.) The Boeing Company
Tomi Hume WSDOT
Anna Bremmer Bremmer Consulting, LLC
Ken Smith HDR
Paul Fuchs The Boeing Company
Joel Davis Meng Analysis
Dick Eitel Everett Engineering, Inc.

Chapter Meeting (6:30 – 7:30 pm)
Introductions
See list of attendees above.
Treasurer’s Report
Treasurer John Langer was not in attendance, but President Blane Long reported out for him. The Cascadia Chapter account balance was $3,654.84 as of January 3, 2016.
Chapter Holiday Party
Last month’s Holiday Party was a success. The get-together was held at Duke’s Chowder House in Southcenter.
Certification Board Update
Anna Bremmer, CVS®, gave a briefing on the recent SAVE Certification Board Meeting.

Venue Logistics
When verifying a restaurant/room for dinner meetings, we need to make sure that wi-fi is available.

Upcoming Meetings
• February (Seattle, TBD) – Board Meeting 5:30 – 6:30; Rahul Nagalkar, Sound Transit Value Engineering Program manager and member of the SAVE International Board of Directors, along with Ann Jamison of HNTB will present “Applicability of Value Engineering to Rail Projects in the Conceptual Design and Preliminary Engineering Phase”.
• March (Everett, TBD) – Nomination Committee needs to be determined for Board Elections. David Hamilton of ESRI has expressed interest in presenting a cost/risk topic during either the March or May meetings.
• April (Seattle) – Joint AACE/SAVE Meeting scheduled for April. Seattle City Light may be the topic, but this has yet to be confirmed. Date needs to be confirmed as well, but it will likely be THURSDAY, April 14.
• May (Tacoma) – Board Meeting 5:30 – 6:30. New Board Members will be introduced.
• June (Niagara Falls, Canada) – In conjunction with the SAVE International Value Summit (and the Canadian VE organization).
Presentation (7:30 – 8:30 pm)
What Do Our Customers Really Want?
Presentation by Blane Long, CVS®, (SAVE Cascadia Chapter President, Senior Value Engineer at HDR).
Whether you’ve just been hired to conduct a VE study, are running one for your own agency, or are doing the hiring of a VE facilitator – you need to know the answer to this important question. What are the outcomes, processes, tangibles and intangibles alike that we want out of VE studies? Blane led an open discussion on how to deliver a VE Study that will give owners what they need to be successful.

——————————————————————————————————————————————
Special thanks to President Blane Long for providing these meeting minutes on behalf of our Secretary.